Somizi Buyani Mhlongo|
December 23, 1972
Gauteng, South Africa
|Other names||Divo, SomGAGA|
|Occupation||Choreographer, Actor, radio and Television Personality|
|Years active||1978 - to date|
|Known for||Idols South Africa|
|Spouse(s)||Mohale Motaung (m.2019)|
|Partner(s)||Palesa Madisakwane (separated)|
|Children||Bahumi Madisakwane (with Palesa Madisakwane)|
Somizi Mhlongo (mononymously known as Somizi, born 23 December 1972)is a popular South African choreographer, actor and radio personality. He is a long standing figure in the entertainment industry with an enduring career spanning decades.
Early Life and Career
Somizi Mhlongo was born in the township of Soweto in Johannesburg in the Gauteng province to actors Mary Twala and Ndaba Mhlongo. His career is said to have began as early as the age of 5. Somizi joined the cast of the Broadway musical Sarafina at the age of 13 and later appeared in the film of the same name. In that film he also served as choreographer. He also appeared in the 1997 drama series Molo Fish.
In recent years Somizi has gained popularity as the flamboyant judge on Idols South Africa. He was also a judge on the SABC 1 dance show, Dance Your Butt Off, he has a reality show Living the Dream with Somizi and he co-host the Metro FM breakfast show with DJ Fresh.
Somizi Mhlongo was in a relationship with South African actress, Palesa Madisakwane. Together, they had a daughter named Bahumi Madisakwane. He had been quoted saying of the relationship, "I've always lived my truth. When Bahumi's mother came to me and said 'I am attracted to you', I told her I'm bisexual. I didn't say I am straight, I didn't say no. I told her I have a boyfriend. And she said 'oh okay, if you are bisexual, it means you date both sexes?', and I said yes because at the time I thought I was bisexual," Somizi Mhlongo said.
In 2019 Somizi Mhlongo married partner, Mohale Motaung.
- Sunday World, Somizi arrested, then released, 04 May 2020
- ECR', Somizi granted bail after lockdown joke drama, 04 May 2020
- News24, Somizi granted R1 500 bail after handing himself over to police after lockdown comment, 04 May 2020
- Times LIVE', Somizi charged and released on R1,500 bail over Fikile Mbalula Covid-19 case, 04 May 2020
- Citizen, ‘I don’t know if he’s a sangoma.’ Mbalula explains why he’s charged his ‘friend’ Somizi , 04 May 2020
- Times LIVE, 'I am not above the law': Somizi speaks out after criminal charges opened, 04 May 2020