|Birth name||Oscar Sibonginkosi Mdlongwa|
|Also known as||
23 November 1967|
North West, South Africa
|Years active||1989 - to date|
|Labels||Kalawa Jazmee Records|
Oskido (born 23 November 1967) is a South African recording artist, DJ, record producer and businessman. He is perhaps best known as one of the leading figures in the Kwaito revolution that rocked South Africa in the 1990s. Oskido has had an illustrious and enduring career in the entertainment and music business including founding Kalawa Jazmee Records (formerly Kalawa Records).
Oskido was born Oscar Sibonginkosi Mdlongwa on 23 November 1967 in Oukasie,Brits in the North West province of South Africa. He was born to a Zimbabwean father, Esaph Mdlongwa, who was a politician and a South African mother, Emily Sophia Molefi. He left South Africa at age 6 and grew up in Luveve Township, Bulawayo] in Zimbabwe where he went on to finish his basic education after graduating from Gifford High School, Bulawayo. After finishing his schooling he returned to Brits to run a family Spaza shop before he left for Johannesburg to pursue a career in music. He has a younger brother, DJ Pepsi, a successful DJ in his own right.
Buy Oskido's Music
Oskido left Oukasie,Brits in 1988 shortly after the passing of his mother. He headed to the city of Johannesburg to pursue a career in music. In his early days in Johannesburg he was an informal trader selling Boerewors rolls outside Club Razzmatazz in Hillbrow. It would be at this club where he would get his early break, one of the resident DJs at Razzmatazz didn’t show up on night and Oskido he volunteered to perform.
Not long after that Oskido reworked some songs and formulating his own kind of sound into cassettes, he went on to release compilations like Mixmaster and Big Jam thus making him popular outside Johannesburg before he was introduced to Bruce Sebitlo, a South African musical act who went on partner Oskido to form the Brothers of Peace band.
At time Kwaito was just emerging and South Africa was changing and opportunities and exposure for were all real attainable possibility. Oskido would become an important part of that period, along with Brothers of Peace he went on to produce and release eight albums.
- The Zimbabwean, DJ Oskido a legend, 02 August 2018
- 'Youth Village, 10 Things you don’t know about DJ Oskido, 02 August 2018
- IOL, WATCH: Local celebs wine and dine at DJ Oskido’s new restaurant, 08 October 2019
- Daily Sun, WATCH: ZONKE AND OSKIDO IN STUDIO WORKING ON NEW MUSIC!, 08 October 2019
- Drum/Channel24, Oskido on being a single dad and his legacy, 08 October 2019
- Forbes Africa, Executive Travel: Oskido’s Brazil, 08 October 2019
- Kick Off, Oskido's son joins academy in Barcelona, 08 October 2019
- Citizen, WATCH: Malema pays Oskido’s new restaurant a revolutionary visit, 08 October 2019
- Sowetan LIVE, The evolution of Kalawa Jazmee, 08 October 2019