December 28, 1978
|Years active||2003 - to date|
|Employer||St. Georges Fine Foods|
|Family||Nicholas Catzavelos (brother)|
Adam Catzavelos (born 28 December 1978) is a South African businessman who rose to infamy for his racist rant. It is understood that he is a central figure at St. Georges Fine Foods, a sauce company founded by his father, George Catzavelos in 1968.
Adam Catzavelos is a businessman who works in the food industry in a business founded by his father, St. Georges Fine Foods. It is undestood that he is also the owner at The Smoke House Grill in Fourways, Johannesburg.
Racism, Fallout, and Aftermath
Adam Catzavelos, while on holiday in Greece, shot a video clip in which he gives a "weather forecast"; in that video he expresses his pleasure at the absence of Black People using a K-word. He was initially vilified on the internet before anger and dismay spilled over to his family's longstanding business which are located in South Africa - a country made up of at least 80% back people and a further 9% of Coloureds (the indigenous peoples of the Western and Northern Cape, and mixed race - as known and referred to officially).
Furthermore; the term is deeply rooted in the ugly past of that country in which the white government made laws which sought to strip Black People of their basic human rights as well as subdue all their efforts to self empower and restrict their movements and free association.
Adam Catzavelos was charged with Crimen Injuria.
- News24, am Catzavelos to pay R150 000 over racist rant after settlement reached with SAHRC, 20 October 2019
- News24, SAHRC offers k-word ranter Adam Catzavelos a R200K settlement, 20 October 2019
- IOL/ Sunday Independent, South Africans divided on Adam Catzavelos' R150K apology, 20 October 2019
- Time LIVE, These are the charges Adam Catzavelos faces in Greece, 20 October 2019
- The South African, Adam Catzavelos: Why a R200k fine is now the “going rate” for using the K-word, 20 October 2019
- SAHRC, SAHRC takes Adam Catzavelos racism case to Equality Court, 20 October 2019
- eNCA, Adam Catzavelos k-word case back in court, 20 October 2019
- Citizen, Adam Catzavelos back in the dock for ‘k-word’ civil case brought by SAHRC, 20 October 2019