January 22, 1994
Gauteng, South Africa
|Education||Allen Glen High School|
|Alma mater||University of Johannesburg|
|Years active||2012 - to date|
|Known for||Generations: The Legacy|
Thulisile Phongolo (born 22 January 1994) is a South African actress and DJ, best for her portrayal of Namhla Diale on SABC 1 soap opera Generations: The Legacy, alongside Manaka Ranaka, Musa Ngema, Vusi Kunene, Thando Thabethe and Vuyo Dabula. She began her acting career in 2012 on SABC 1 drama series Tshisa, she was cast as Zama alongside Bongani Masondo, Melusi Yeni, Innocent Masuku, Thembsie Matu, Linda Sebezo and Zukisa Matola.
Departure from Generations and Continued Work: 2018 - to date
Speaking to SABC 3's Trending SA Thulisile Phongolo said of her Generations departure, "Even last year when my contract was renewed, I was thinking of going but I was scared because I didn't know what I was going to do next. Being on a soapie in this country gives you some stability. So when the story came up (the soapie's new storylines), I thought it was a great time (to leave).
"Since I have started DJing, things have been going well. I am going to have my mixes on one of the stations here and of course I have been working with (shoe brand) Footwork. There are upcoming roles where you will see me in a different light, not as a kid anymore, and I hope fans will like that and can relate," she said on Trending SA.
"After I kept talking about my extensive love for music, DJ Zoe said to me, why don't you just do it because you have an ear for music. So she began mentoring me. I had only 12 lessons before I could go to my first gig because Zoe started advertising for her event that was coming up and put me on the line up. My PR people sent out a press release saying I was a DJ, and at that time I didn't even know how to play properly," Thulisile Phongolo said.
Return to Television
In July 2019 Thulisile Phongolo returned to television acting with the role of Mbali Mbuli on Mzansi Magic's original political drama, The Republic also starring Siyabonga Thwala, Florence Masebe, Hlomla Dandala and Warren Masemola. She currently stars on SABC 1's drama comedy Makoti alongside Siphesihle Vazi, Ayanda Makayi, Tina Jaxa, Mike Mvelase, Andile Gumbi and Millicent Makhado.
Thulisile Phongolo was in a relationship with Raphael Griffiths of Muvhango and Imbewu: The Seed fame. It was Raphael Griffiths who confirmed, during an interview on Durban's East Coast Radio, that the relationship existed and ended - adding "we are still cool".
- okmzansi, Actress Thuli Phongolo is a college graduate!, 15 April 2019
- TVSA, Thuli Phongolo, 15 April 2019
- iono.fm, Thulisile Phongolo , 15 April 2019
- People magazine, Thuli Phongolo Turns 25!, 15 April 2019
- Briefly, Thulisile Phongolo biography: boyfriend, education, career and cutest photos, 19 August 2019
- MSN, Thuli Phongolo Calls Her Exes 'Basic', 19 August 2019
- ZAlebs, Bio: Getting to know Thulisile Phongolo, 19 August 2019
- Times LIVE, Here's how Thuli Phongolo will get her coins after leaving Generations, 19 August 2019
- Move!/ Channel24, Former Generations: The Legacy actress Thuli Phongolo returns to TV, 19 August 2019
- Instagram, thuliphongolo, 19 August 2019
- Twitter, @Thuli_P, 19 August 2019
- Facebook, @ThuliPhongolo, 19 August 2019