March 15, 1987
|Years active||2003 - to date|
Phumeza Mdabe (née Dlwati, born 15 March 1987) is a South African actress, model, television personality and singer. She portrayed the character of Sandra Jacobs on Generations alongside Mandla Gaduka and Jafta Mamabolo. Phumeza Mdabe took over the role of Phumi from Kholeka Qwabe on Sokhulu & Partners and took over as host of Our Perfect Wedding from Brenda Ngxoli for season 3 and later relinquished the role to Tumi Morake.
Phumeza Mdabe was born Phumeza Mdabe Dlwati on 15 March 1987 in Johannesburg in the Gauteng of South Africa. In a Instagram post she revealed that her biological father was her mother's employer, "at this point, still dont (sic) know what the circumstances were that led to my mother having me as my biological father was her employer and she was his domestic worker".
Phumeza Mdabe's mother passed away in 2002 and her stepfather in 2015. She has three siblings.
Phumeza Mdabe competed in the second season of Idols SA and placed in the top 32, she later remarked, "there was a lot of pressure. I was excited to make it that far, but somehow relieved when I was let go. At the end of the day it’s a competition and doesn’t define who you are or where you go." She appeared on the Leon Schuster box office hit, Mr Bones.
In 2007 Phumeza Mdabe was signed to Universal Music and went to release her debut studio album, Feeling Brand New. Her second studio album, Breathing Out was released under Shota Music and her third studio album,Just Listen, was released in 2010 under Gallo Records.
Phumeza Mdabe placed her recording career on hold telling the Independent Online during an interview, "At the moment I’m not working on anything musical. I need to be in a certain space to get inspired to write, for melodies to come. I’m now giving TV presenting a chance. I am giving it my all, taking it all in."
- Instagram, phumezamdabe, 13 August 2019
- Twitter, @phumezamdabe, 13 August 2019
- Facebook, Phumeza Mdabe, 13 August 2019
Phumeza Mdabe is married to South African recording artist Mnqobi Mdabe, the pair have a blended family consisting of four children.
Mpilo Mdabe Health Issues
Phumeza Mdabe's last born son, Mpilo Mdabe, was diagnosed with Bilateral Retinoblastoma – a cancer of the eye. He underwent treatment and in January 2015, Mpilo Mdabe had his first operation to have his right eye removed. After numerous treatment and variations to those treatment the cancer in the left eye did not respond, at which point his left eye was also removed. As of October 2016 Mpilo Mdabe was officially cleared and was now in remission.
- TVSA, Phumeza Mdabe, 19 February 2019
- Instagram, phumezamdabe, 19 February 2019
- Twitter, phumezamdabe, 19 February 2019
- ZAlebs, Phumeza Mdabe and Shota on their love, 19 February 2019
- Times LIVE, 'It broke us' - Shota relives the pain of his son being diagnosed with cancer, 19 February 2019
- ZAlebs, Phumeza and Shota still going strong, 19 February 2019
- IOL, Phumeza’s the new wedding belle, 19 February 2019
- Parent24, "I had no idea my son's eye colour meant he had cancer", 19 February 2019
- Channel24, Phumeza Mdabe: "My biological father denied me at birth", 19 February 2019
- All 4 Women, Phumeza Mdabe opens up about son’s cancer battle, 19 February 2019
- Bona, Video: Behind The Scenes With Phumeza Mdabe, 19 February 2019
- Times LIVE, Phumeza Mdabe labels her man as her 'strength, 19 February 2019