November 25, 1987
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
|Education||Highway Christian Academy School|
|Alma mater||Varsity College|
|Years active||2012 - to date|
Winner of Idols SA season 8|
First black winner of Idols SA
|Spouse(s)||Ntando Kunene (m. 2017)|
|Relatives||Mnqobi Mthethwa (brother)|
Khaya Mthethwa (born 25 November 1987) is a South African singer, songwriter, composer, arranger, multi-instrumentalist, radio host, television host and pastor. He was the winner of Idols SA season 8; that season feature participants such as Sihle Ndaba, Tshepi Mashego and slain actor Dumi Masilela †. Khaya Mthethwa went on to release his much heralded R&B single, Move.
Khaya Mthethwa was born Khayelihle Mthethwa on 25 November 1987 in the township of Umlazi, Durban in the KwaZulu-Natal province of South Africa. He is the son of Pastor Bhekithemba Mthethwa and Pastor Lulu Mthethwa, the founders of the Umlazi Oasis Fellowship Centre. Khaya Mthethwa has a younger brother named Mnqobi Mthethwa.
Khaya Mthethwa intended to pursue music after matriculating, however, his parents insisted on education as a result he studied project management. He later joined Joyous Celebration serving as a singer and musician.
Idols SA 2012
In 2012 Khaya Mthethwa entered Idols SA which was in its eighth season and went on to be crowned the winner. The eighth season saw three other notably contestants who went on to forge successful careers in the music industry; Sihle Ndaba went on to star on the critically acclaimed SABC 1 telenovela Uzalo, Tshepi Mashego briefly starred on the E.TV soap opera, Rhythm City to widespread acclaim and Dumi Masilela † who portrayed the character of Sfiso Ngema also on Rhythm City until his death at the hands of would be hijackers.
Prominence; 2012 - to date
After winning the eighth season of Idols SA Khaya Mthethwa shot to prominence and released his debut single, an R&B track Move, for which he later shot a music video featuring Boity Thulo. His debut album, For You was released on 19 November 2012.
Khaya Mthethwa has worked extensively recording music, appearing and hosting various television show; he was a choirmaster for KwaZulu-Natal for the Mzansi Magic reality competition Clash of the Choirs South Africa, hosted Mzansi Magic's Gospel Alive, hosted BET gospel show Rhythm and Gospel and SABC 1's Gospel Avenue.
"This is the very first time that it has been announced on radio that The Sacred Space will include both Thami Ngubeni and Khaya Mthethwa," Thami Ngubeni announced.
Buy Khaya Mthethwa Music
- Google Play, The Uprising, 31 December 2013
- Google Play, The Uprising (Deluxe), 01 July 2014
- Google Play, The Dawn, 16 June 2016
- Google Play, The Dawn, 16 June 2016
- Google Play, Mkhulumsebenzi, 09 February 2018
- Google Play, Atmosphere, 29 June 2018
- Google Play, Igama Lakho, 29 June 2018
- Google Play, All About Jesus, 26 July 2018
- Apple iTunes, How Do You Love (feat. Heavy-K) Remix - Single, 13 February 2015
- Apple iTunes, Igama Lakho - Single, 29 June 2018
- Apple iTunes, All About Jesus, 29 June 2018
- Apple iTunes, All About Jesus, 27 July 2018
Khaya Mthethwa was in a relationship with South African actress Nomzamo Mbatha. According to various media reports, the pair was engaged to be married until the relationship ended amid reports of unfaithfulness on part of Khaya Mthethwa. Various media outlets claimed that Khaya Mthethwa had begun a romantic relationship with Nomzamo Mbatha's friend and IsiBaya co-star Jessica Nkosi.
According to a March 2017 Move! magazine article while Nomzamo Mbatha acknowledges the relationship, Khaya Mthethwa denies having been involved with both of them. Khaya Mthethwa later said, in an interview with Pearl Modiadie on Zaziwa, he didn't feel comfortable discussing the relationship as the families were involved. Further adding that he took responsibility, he could have done better and "the whole mishmash" was a disaster.
Khaya Mthethwa entered into a relationship with former Miss South Africa Ntando Kunene. The pair wedded on 02 December 2017 in a traditional ceremony held in Piet Retief, Mpumalanga. Famous guests included Lindelani Mkhize, advocate Nkateko Maluleke and the late Akhumzi Jezile †.
On 08 February 2019 Khaya Mthethwa and Ntando Kunene welcomed a baby boy and named him Oyinkosi Mthethwa.
- Instagram, khayamthethwa, 23 February 2019
- Twitter, @khayamthethwa, 23 February 2019
- Facebook, Khaya Mthethwa, 23 February 2019
- Facebook, khayamthethwaSA, 23 February 2019
- Channel24, Khaya and Ntando Mthethwa’s adorable family portrait, 23 February 2019
- Channel24, IN PICS: Khaya Mthethwa and Ntando-Kunene Mthethwa welcome baby boy, 23 February 2019
- Information Craddle, Khaya Mthethwa Biography, Age, Girlfriend and Songs, 23 February 2019
- TVSA, Khaya Mthethwa, 23 February 2019
- Times LIVE, Ntando to Khaya Mthethwa: You're a man of great character & integrity, 23 February 2019
- All 4 Women, Khaya Mthethwa and Ntando Kunene CONFIRM pregnancy news, 23 February 2019
- Bona, Ntando and Khaya Mthethwa celebrate their first anniversary, 23 February 2019
- Daily Sun, KHAYA MTHETHWA ON PREACHING AT AGE 14, 23 February 2019
- Briefly, It's a boy! Ntando and Khaya Mthethwa finally reveal baby's gender, 23 February 2019
- Deezer, Khaya Mthethwa, 23 February 2019
- Afternoon Express, Khaya Mthethwa, 23 February 2019
- Mail & Guardian, Team Khaya wins 'Clash of the Choirs', 23 February 2019
- Mail & Guardian, Idols South Africa crowns first black winner, 23 February 2019
- News24/ Drum, Idols South Africa crowns first black winner, 23 February 2019
- Sowetan LIVE, Khaya Mthethwa and Ntando Kunene’s traditional wedding, 23 February 2019
- Times LIVE, Khaya Mthethwa joins Metro FM, 23 February 2019