December 17, 1974
University of Witwatersrand|
Harvard Business School
|Years active||1995 - to date|
Dr Sthembiso Mkhize (1992-2003)|
Chinezi Chijioke (2009– to date)
Khanyi Dhlomo (born 17 December 1974) is a South African businesswoman, former magazine editor, the founder and CEO of Ndalo Media and Ndalo Luxury Ventures. She is perhaps widely known for being appointed editor of True Love, a South African women's magazine and that magazine's success during her tenure.
Khanyi Dhlomo was born Khanyisile Dhlomo on 17 December 1974 in the township of Umlazi in the south of the city of Durban in the KwaZulu-Natal province of South Africa. She is the daughter of late famed academic Oscar Dhlomo and Nokuthula Venetia Dhlomo a former nursing sister and tutor. Her father was an important academic and a prominent politician. Khanyi Dhlomo is one of four children; with four brother, she is the only girl to her parents.
Khanyi Dhlomo went to Girls Collegiate founded as Evangelical Protestant Day and Boarding School for Young Ladies now known as The Wykeham Collegiate in the city of Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal. She was the first black girl ever accepted at that school. "It was tough, for my fellow boarders were children of wealthy Natal sugar farmers whose interaction with black people had been as farm labourers," Khanyi Dhlomo once remarked in an interview.
In 1995, when Khanyi Dhlomo was just 20 and a journalism student at the University of Witwatersrand, she made history as the first black newscaster for SABC 1, South Africa’s national broadcaster. She became editor of True Love, a South African women's magazine, at just the age of 22. In just 12 months she doubled the magazine's circulation from 70 000 to 140 000 and essentially galvanised its position as the widely read women's magazine in South Africa. In the years that followed the magazine's success, readership and popularity grew in leaps and bounds - so did her profile and recognition. In 2003, at the height of her editorship on True Love, boasting a circulation 1.9 million, and in the wake of her divorce, she stepped down and moved to France.
Years Abroad and Return to South Africa
In 2003 following her failed marriage to Dr Sthembiso Mkhize she relocated to France where she worked as manager of South Africa's Tourism Board in Paris. She went on to study full-time at Harvard Business School and in 2007 she graduated with an MBA which is where she met her husband Chinezi Chijioke. In that same year she returned to South Africa and founded Ndalo Media in partnership with [Media24]] a subsidiary of Naspers and successfully published the magazine, Destiny.
Recent Years: Ndalo Media, Luminance and Project Runway South Africa; 2008 - to date
Since returning to South Africa Khanyi Dhlomo founded Ndalo Media in partnership with Media24 a subsidiary of Naspers and successfully published the magazine, Destiny. In 2008 Khanyi Dhlomo launched DestinyConnect.com which serves as the online extension of Destiny magazine and in July 2009 Destiny Man, edited by Kojo Baffoe was launched together with its online extension DestinyMan.com. She has since acquired the shares once held by Media24 and Ndalo Media is now wholly-owned by Khanyi Dhlomo and her family through Rostraflex Ltd.
In 2013, Khanyi Dhlomo launched the boutique department store, Luminance in Hyde Park, Johannesburg. The luxury store was partly funded by National Empowerment Fund (NEF) in excess of R34.1 million. This sparked a controversy; Khanyi Dhlomo later told the Mail and Guardian that she own the entire enterprise, rather 65% jointly with her mother with other owning the remaining 35% including 10% which had been allocated to a collective of rural women at the National Empowerment Fund's behest and another 10% was for the staff.
In July 2018 Khanyi Dhlomo served as the judge of Runway South Africa alongside Noni Gasa, Gert-Johan Coetzee and Rahim Rawjee. The show is produced by her company Ndalo Pictures and hosted by Lerato Kganyago.
Khanyi Dhlomo is a daughter of prominent academics [Oscar Dhlomo]] and Nokukhanya Venetia Dhlomo (née Ntshingila). Her father was a prominent figure in the provincial politics, education and social affairs in the KwaZulu-Natal province.
She was married to Dr Sthembiso Mkhize for nearly 11 years with whom she had two sons; Hugo Mkhize and Khaya Mkhize.
Khanyi Dhlomo met Chinezi Chijioke while studying her MBA at Harvard Business School in Boston, Massachusetts in the United States of America. The pair wedded in 2009.
- City Press, Winning Women – Khanyi Dhlomo: The glimmer of success, 01 August 2018
- Ndalo Media, Khanyi Dhlomo, Founder & CEO , 01 August 2018
- SA History, Oscar Dumisani Dhlomo , 01 August 2018
- Forbes, Africa's Most Successful Women: Khanyi Dhlomo , 01 August 2018
- Zalebs, Khanyi Dhlomo's sons have grown into fine men, 01 August 2018
- Mail & Guardian, Khanyi Dhlomo: More heat than luminance, 01 August 2018