Dumisani Edwin Masilela|
31 May 1988
Kempton Park, Gauteng
03 August 2017 (29)|
|Cause of death||Gunshot Wound|
Zuurfontein Cemetery, Kempton Park|
|Years active||2008 - 2017|
|Spouse(s)||Simphiwe Ngema (m.2017 - 2017); his death|
Dumi Masilela (born 31 May 1988 - 03 August 2017) was a South African singer, actor and former soccer player best known for his role as 23-year-old street kid Sifiso Ngema, who hustled his way through life, in the e.tv soap opera Rhythm City, making his first appearance in January 2013.
Life and Career
Dumi Masilela was born Dumisani Edwin Masilela on 31 May 1988, he was from Kempton Park in the Gauteng province of South Africa. In 2008, he was a rising soccer star that Premier Soccer League club SuperSport United had signed from the University of Pretoria. His football career was cut short by a car accident. After his soccer career came to an abrupt halt, he poured himself into music. This passion saw him try out for Idols SA season eight, in 2012. He made it to the Top 18, after which Rhythm City contacted him to audition for the role of Sifiso, despite the fact that he had no acting experience.
In May 2017 he married his long-time girlfriend – actress, Simphiwe Ngema in a traditional ceremony.
Memorial Service and Funeral
Dumi Masilela's memorial service was held on 09 August 2017 at Hope Restoration Ministries in Kempton Park and the funeral was held as the same venue 3 days later on Saturday 12 August 2017. He was later laid to rest at Zuurfontein Cemetery, Kempton Parkin Gauteng.
- TVSA, Dumi Masilela, 27 September 2018
- www.timeslive.co.za, Year in Review: Remembering Dumi Masilela, 27 September 2018
- mybiohub, Dumi Masilela, 29 September 2018
- mytvnews, Dumi Masilela, 25 September 2018
- bona, SEE PICS: Simphiwe Ngema weds Dumi Masilela, 27 September 2018
- Channel24, Final goodbyes as Dumi Masilela is laid to rest, 01 February 2019
- Times LIVE,IN PICTURES: Final farewell for Dumi Masilela, 01 February 2019