April 19, 1984
Bloemfontein, Free State
|Alma mater||Tshwane University of Technology|
|Years active||2004 - to date|
Arno Marais (born 19 April 1984)is South African actor. He is known for his portrayal of the peculiar character of Benjamin le Roux on the SABC 3 flagship soap opera, Isidingo where he acted alongside Michelle Botes, Robert Whitehead and Vusi Kunene. In 2016 he starred in the kykNET drama series Die Boekklub alongside Armand Aucamp, Jana Cilliers, Paul du Toit, Nicole Holm, June van Merch, Lee-Ann van Rooi and Christia Visser. Arno Marais went on a two year hiatus from Isiding, during that period he appeared on Sokhulu & Partners as Adv. Nick Edwards and appeared on 7de Laan in a recurring role.
Fatal Car Accident
Arno Marais was involved in a car accident that claimed the life of teenager Kobus Venter on 28 July 2010. According to his girlfriend he had gone out to get takeaways from McDonald’s.
The accident left Arno Marais severely injured and remained in a coma for four weeks at Steve Biko Academic Hospital in Pretoria. "He had some swelling on the brain but that has gone down now. There was bad internal bleeding and doctors operated to stop that. He has a crushed left lung and is on a respirator," his mother, Corrie Viviers, told the media at the time.
After seven months Arno Marais made a near complete recovery and returned to Isidingo.
Culpable Homicide Charges
Two years after the accident Arno Marais was charged with culpable homicide and reckless and negligent driving. It was alleged Arno Marais skipped a red light on the night of 28 July 2010, and caused a fatal accident in Centurion, which claimed the life of 19-year-old Kobus Venter. Arno Marais appeared at Pretoria Regional Court in September 2012.
Twitter Remarks on Islam and Africa
Arno Marais tweeted views that were offensive towards Muslims. He tweeted, " Europe is FKD. Islam se Ma se gat!!!". When a Twitter user (@NicAnderson) asked him, " And the millions of Muslims in SA and around the world that practice Islam and are just peacefully going about their lives?" Arno Marais responded by saying, "F**k em".
He also tweeted, "This ha NEVER been our country, I com from Europe and We should have left africa where it was...nowhere".
He later issued an apology via Twitter which read, "I am deeply sorry for the offending posts on my twitter account. These are not my beliefs, I respect all people regardless of race and religion. I am truly embarrassed and can only hope for forgiveness."
- The South African, Isidingo star Arno Marais apologises for “offensive” Tweets, 29 November 2018
- Actor Spaces, Profile | Arno Marais, 29 November 2018
- IOL, Arno Marais is back on Isidingo!, 29 November 2018
- TVSA, Arno Marais, 29 November 2018
- Press Reader/ The Citizen, Isidingo actor Marais remains in ICU after weekend crash, 29 November 2018
- News24/ Drum, Isidingo’s Arno Marais charged after crash , 29 November 2018
- News24/ You, Isidingo's Arno: mom's coma vigal, 29 November 2018
- IOL/ Weekend Argus, Isidingo star in court after fatal accident, 29 November 2018
- Gallo Images, Good face of a bad boy. Actor Arno Marais insists he's so not like evil Benjamin, his character on Isidingo. Arno Marais with his girlfriend, aspiring actress Michelle Victor. Feature text available, 29 November 2018