|Other names||Young Raphy|
television, radio personality
|Years active||2009 - to date|
Raphael Griffiths is a South African actor, singer, television and radio personality. He made his television debut in 2009 as a presenter on SABC 2’s youth programme Q-base 28. Raphael Griffiths best known for his role on SABC2 soap opera Muvhango as Vusi Mokwevho. In 2018 he joined the Duma Ndlovu created e.tv original telenovela, Imbewu: The Seed, where he portrays the character of Zithulele.
On Acting on Muvhango
Raphael Griffiths once told the Sowetan that he was "brutalised" by the public on social media due to his lack of acting experience. During an interview on East Coast Radio Raphael Griffiths went to say the criticism he received was justified as he was a bad actor, even directors and fellow cast members did not like him.
"When I started presenting‚ I knew for sure I could do it. But when I got into acting‚ I was not an actor and only after stepping into it I realised‚ 'man‚ you actually suck at this.' I also got a lot of people just brutalising me‚ everywhere even on social media and I thought‚ 'yoh‚ maybe I should quit.
"It took a lot of humility for me to say‚ 'you know what‚ I was never taught to quit and if everyone thinks I'm bad‚ then I'm just gonna work at it until I get better.' I respected the craft and I really wanted to be great at it and I had to humble myself to begin to learn‚ so I did. It wasn't easy but it was worth it at the end. The faith that uBab'Duma had in me kept me going. Because when the whole country was saying‚ 'fire this guy‚ he's a bad actor'‚ he chose to believe in my potential."
Raphael Griffiths relocated to Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, where Imbewu: The Seed was being filmed. It was during this time that he joined the KwaZulu-Natal based radio station, Gagasi 99.5 FM, co-hosting a graveyard shift from 1am to 4am on Saturdays and Sundays alongside longtime friend, Lungelo Sithole.
Raphael Griffiths was in a relationship with Thuli Phongolo.
- Sowetan LIVE, Raphael Griffiths dusts off all the Muvhango hate, 20 February 2019
- Times LIVE, Raphael Griffiths on dusting all the Muvhango hate off, 20 February 2019
- Twitter, @el_raffael, 20 February 2019
- Press Reader/ TV Plus, Raphael Griffiths is moving to Imbewu: The Seed, 20 February 2019
- East Cost Radio, Raphael Griffiths talks new role on 'Imbewu: The Seed' with East Coast Drive, 20 February 2019
- MY TV News, Raphael Griffiths, 20 February 2019
- Instagram, raphaelgriffithsiii, 20 February 2019
- News24, Imbali home boy scores a gig at Gagasi FM, 20 February 2019
- Press Reader/ Sowetan, Imbewu Star Lands Radio Spot, 20 February 2019
- Biz Community, Gagasi FM Red Star Experience and new line-up announcements, 20 February 2019